A community in which webmasters can ask for help with topics such as PHP coding , MySQL , IT jobs, web design, IT security.
Current location:homephp forumphp talk in 2008 yearHow to use the CSV MIME-type? - page 1
User InfoPosts
How to use the CSV MIME-type?#1
In a web application I am working on, the user can click on a link to a CSV file. There is no header set for the mime-type, so the browser just renders it as text. I would like for this file to be sent as a .csv file, so the user can directly open it with calc, excel, gnumeric, etc.

header('Content-Type: text/csv');
echo "cell 1, cell 2";

This code works as expected on my computer (Isn't that how it always is?) but does not work on another computer.

My browser is a nightly build of FF 3.0.1 (on linux). The browsers it did not work in were IE 7 and FF 3.0 (on windows)

Are there any quirks I am unaware of?

posted date: 2008-12-29 10:08:00

Re: How to use the CSV MIME-type?#2
I had made out the solution of this problem. click to view my topic...

hope that hepls.

posted date: 2008-12-29 10:08:01

Re: How to use the CSV MIME-type?#3
You could try to force the browser to open a "Save As..." dialog by doing something like:header('Content-type: text/csv');header('Content-disposition: attachment;filename=MyVerySpecial.csv');echo "cell 1, cell 2";Which should work across most major browsers.

posted date: 2008-12-29 10:11:00

Re: How to use the CSV MIME-type?#4
You are not specifying a language or framework, but the following header is used for file downloads:"Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=abc.csv"

posted date: 2008-12-29 10:14:00

Re: How to use the CSV MIME-type?#5
With Internet Explorer you often have to specify the Pragma: public header as well for the download to function properly..header('Pragma: public');Just my 2 cents..

posted date: 2011-05-04 01:51:00

Re: How to use the CSV MIME-type?#6
This code can be used to export any file, including csv// application/octet-stream tells the browser not to try to interpret the fileheader('Content-type: application/octet-stream');header('Content-Length: ' . filesize($data));header('Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="export.csv"');

posted date: 2013-03-08 02:27:00

Re: How to use the CSV MIME-type?#7
"octetstream" is meant to be "octet-stream"

posted date: 2013-08-12 11:38:00

Re: How to use the CSV MIME-type?#8
This can cause a warning in some browsers: Resource interpreted as Document but transferred with MIME type application/octet-stream

posted date: 2013-09-11 09:23:00

Re: How to use the CSV MIME-type?#9
Possibly the actual utility of this is to replace a preexisting Pragma: no-cache header?

posted date: 2014-01-15 06:38:00

select page: « 1 »
Copyright ©2008-2017 www.momige.com, all rights reserved.