A community in which webmasters can ask for help with topics such as PHP coding , MySQL , IT jobs, web design, IT security.
Current location:homephp forumphp talk in 2009 yearPHP: How can I get rid of commas inside double quotes in a multiple column row? - page 1
User InfoPosts
PHP: How can I get rid of commas inside double quotes in a multiple column row?#1
I need a PHP solution to get rid of commas inside double quotes. I can(t seem to figure out a solution using preg_replace.

I(m inserting data into a database from a text file that is coma delimited.

Certain columns from the text file contain multiple words that are surrounded in double quotes. Theses double quotes have comas inside, so when I attempt to insert the text into my database using coma delimited columns it reads in the quotes between the double quotes and turns them into columns.

Here is how a row in the text file looks:

partname,2035, "this is, desc,ription",qty, "another, description",

this is what happens when I attempt to separate it:

results partname, 2035, this is, desc, ription, qty, another, description,

this is what I want:

partime, 2035, this is description, qty, another description,

As you can see, the parts surrounded in double quotes should not be split into separate columns. I don(t know how to fix this; could someone point me in the right direction?

posted date: 2009-04-07 05:53:00

Re: PHP: How can I get rid of commas inside double quotes in a multiple column row?#2
I had made out the solution of this problem. click to view my topic...

hope that hepls.

posted date: 2009-04-07 05:53:01

Re: PHP: How can I get rid of commas inside double quotes in a multiple column row?#3
What you want is the str_getcsv() function. It(s only available in PHP5.3.0+ though.

posted date: 2009-04-07 05:56:00

Re: PHP: How can I get rid of commas inside double quotes in a multiple column row?#4
Wouldn't you rather parse the CSV correctly? By doing what you describe, you'll lose the commas. Are you sure they have absolutely no value?

posted date: 2009-04-07 06:04:00

Re: PHP: How can I get rid of commas inside double quotes in a multiple column row?#5
Try this function to split a single line into raw values. It tries to cope with pretty irregular CSVsfunction csv_split( $src, $comma = (,(, $esc = (\\( ){ $a = array(); while( $src ){ $c = $src{0}; switch( $c ){ // permit empty values case (,(: $a[] = ((; $src = substr( $src, 1 ); continue 2; // ignore whitespace case ( (: case "\t": preg_match((/^\s+/(, $src, $r ); $src = substr( $src, strlen($r[0]) ); continue 2; // quoted values case ("(: case "(": case (`(: $reg = sprintf((/^%1$s((?:\\\\.|[^%1$s\\\\])*)%1$s\s*(?:,|$)/(, $c ); break; // naked values default: $reg = (/^((?:\\\\.|[^,\\\\])*)(?:,|$)/(; $c = (,(; } if( preg_match( $reg, $src, $r ) ){ $a[] = empty($r[1]) ? (( : str_replace( (\\(.$c, $c, $r[1] ); $src = substr( $src, strlen($r[0]) ); continue; } // else fail trigger_error("csv_split failure", E_USER_WARNING ); break; } return $a;}

posted date: 2009-04-07 06:05:00

Re: PHP: How can I get rid of commas inside double quotes in a multiple column row?#6
Hrrm. I have PHP version 5.2.5 and I don't think that upgrading to PHP 5.30 is an option. No other possible work arounds?

posted date: 2009-04-07 06:17:00

Re: PHP: How can I get rid of commas inside double quotes in a multiple column row?#7
This may work for you:$pieces = explode( ("(, (partname,2035, "this is, desc,ription",qty, "another, description",( );// explode the ones we should split (will be even-# elements)for ( $i=0; $i<= count($pieces); $i+=2 ) { $tmpArray = explode(",", $pieces[$i]); foreach($tmpArray as $value) { if ( strlen(trim($value)) > 0 ) { $finalArray[] = $value; } }}// now add the ones we shouldn(t split inside quotes (odd-# elements)for ( $i=1; $i<= count($pieces); $i+=2 ) { if ( strlen(trim($pieces[$i])) > 0 ) { $finalArray[] = $pieces[$i]; }}// show the resultecho "<pre>";print_r($finalArray);echo "<pre>";

posted date: 2009-04-07 06:47:00

Re: PHP: How can I get rid of commas inside double quotes in a multiple column row?#8
The general solution for the problem would be to escape the separator character while creating the line before assembling the coma separated data with a simple. define(SEPARATOR,(,();$dataField = str_replace(SEPARATOR,(BSLASH(.SEPARATOR,$dataField);Pls change BSLASH to backslash character (the comment input box is more intelligent than me as it behaves strangely when I try to write a backslash character and I can(t figure out how to turn it off :) )Of course it(s not an option if you receive the data from 3rd party source.

posted date: 2009-04-07 07:28:00

Re: PHP: How can I get rid of commas inside double quotes in a multiple column row?#9
Well, trim is not the current problem, it's not reading in all the columns surrounded by quotes correctly. It completely skips the first column "1-500-e1" and a few others that have quotes.

posted date: 2009-04-07 08:06:00

Re: PHP: How can I get rid of commas inside double quotes in a multiple column row?#10
Guys, PHP already has a function for this, fgetcsv (get comma sepparated values from files)<?php$r = array();$fh = fopen((test.txt(,(r();while($t = fgetcsv($fh)) { $r[] = $t;}var_dump($r);Which is there since the PHP4 era.

posted date: 2009-04-07 09:18:00

Re: PHP: How can I get rid of commas inside double quotes in a multiple column row?#11
please read the original question CAREFULLY... :0

posted date: 2009-04-10 01:16:00

Re: PHP: How can I get rid of commas inside double quotes in a multiple column row?#12
function csv_string_to_array($str){$expr="/,(?=(?:[^\"]*\"[^\"]*\")*(?![^\"]*\"))/";$results=preg_split($expr,trim($str));return preg_replace("/^\"(.*)\"$/","$1",$results);}That does the trick.

posted date: 2010-10-01 02:33:00

select page: « 1 »
Copyright ©2008-2017 www.momige.com, all rights reserved.