A community in which webmasters can ask for help with topics such as PHP coding , MySQL , IT jobs, web design, IT security.
Current location:homephp forumphp talk in 2009 yearWhich Linux distro is best for running in a virtual machine, for programming research? - page 1
User InfoPosts
Which Linux distro is best for running in a virtual machine, for programming research?#1
I(d like to learn LAMP development for my own personal edification.

I tried setting up Ubuntu 8.10 "Hardy Heron" in Microsoft VPC, but I can(t get the video to work above 800x600. Played with xorg.conf a million times but no joy. Can anyone recommend a good distro to work with that plays well with VPC? Any guidance on getting started with Apache and Perl/PHP would also be welcome.

posted date: 2009-04-07 08:57:00

Re: Which Linux distro is best for running in a virtual machine, for programming research?#2
I had made out the solution of this problem. click to view my topic...

hope that hepls.

posted date: 2009-04-07 08:57:01

Re: Which Linux distro is best for running in a virtual machine, for programming research?#3
I use Ubuntu 8.10 and Mono.However, to get the graphics to work properly, you need the noreplace-paravirtkernel parameter.

posted date: 2009-04-07 09:00:00

Re: Which Linux distro is best for running in a virtual machine, for programming research?#4
I tried that, but still the video is garbled above 800x600. If I restore the xorg.conf the video is no longer garbled but if I re-edit the file (tried several different version from different blogs) it goes wonky again.

posted date: 2009-04-07 09:01:00

Re: Which Linux distro is best for running in a virtual machine, for programming research?#5
I installed ubuntu 8.10 in a virtual machine on my Vista 64-bit laptop. I attempted the install with Virtual PC, VM Ware and Virtual Box from SUN. Virtual Box was the only vm software that I was successful with from the start. In the setup you choose that you are installing linux as your guest OS and everything works without spending your evening sifting through blogs trying to get install to work.

posted date: 2009-04-07 09:05:00

Re: Which Linux distro is best for running in a virtual machine, for programming research?#6
+1 for VirtualBox (although I've also had good luck with VMware Workstation)

posted date: 2009-04-07 09:07:00

Re: Which Linux distro is best for running in a virtual machine, for programming research?#7
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Guest_OSes

posted date: 2009-04-07 09:09:00

Re: Which Linux distro is best for running in a virtual machine, for programming research?#8
This is largely a matter of preference. As has been mentioned, Ubuntu is a good choice. I tend to prefer debian as it is a bit less cutting edge (and therefor more stable). But it(s not as easy a platform to learn as Ubuntu.As has also been pointed out, I would recommend VirtualBox as Virtual PC doesn(t support non-MS operating systems.

posted date: 2009-04-07 09:20:00

Re: Which Linux distro is best for running in a virtual machine, for programming research?#9
If you(re not wedded to VPC, a quick way to start might be to download the free VMWare Player at http://vmware.com/products/player/and then you can try any of many, many distros prepackaged for VMWare here:http://vmware.com/appliances/directory/cat/508The appliances at the second link should work out of box, so you don(t have to fiddle with X conf files, which is probably not the topic of your research. As a bonus, you may be exposed to distros you normally wouldn(t know about.Edit: Here(s an appliance with Ubuntu 8.10:http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/54735

posted date: 2009-04-07 09:35:00

Re: Which Linux distro is best for running in a virtual machine, for programming research?#10
Tried VirtualBox, I think my corp. firewall is giving it grief, but it looks good. Trying again from home tonight.

posted date: 2009-04-07 09:54:00

Re: Which Linux distro is best for running in a virtual machine, for programming research?#11
I never had any same issue... :(

posted date: 2009-04-07 11:00:00

Re: Which Linux distro is best for running in a virtual machine, for programming research?#12
I use Scientific Linux 5.2 (which is just a rebranded RedHat Enterprise Linux 5.2) and it works fine. I also have had success with many flavors of Ubuntu. I run all of my machines under VMWare Server and have successfully used them with both the 1.0.x versions and the 2.0.x versions of VMWare server.

posted date: 2009-04-07 12:09:00

select page: « 1 2 »
Copyright ©2008-2017 www.momige.com, all rights reserved.