A community in which webmasters can ask for help with topics such as PHP coding , MySQL , IT jobs, web design, IT security.
Current location:homephp forumphp talk in 2009 yearDoes the GPL license contaminate? - page 1
User InfoPosts
Does the GPL license contaminate?#1
Quick Question.

I am doing a conversion of JavaScript code licensed by GPL (and not created by me) into PHP. Does the original GPL stand or can i put any license on the converted code?

I found this on SO, but wondering if it applies.

posted date: 2009-04-08 01:53:00

Re: Does the GPL license contaminate?#2
I had made out the solution of this problem. click to view my topic...

hope that hepls.

posted date: 2009-04-08 01:53:01

Re: Does the GPL license contaminate?#3
If you are the original copyright owner, then you can release a copy or a modified work under any license you like. That doesn(t change the license of the previously released software of course.

posted date: 2009-04-08 01:57:00

Re: Does the GPL license contaminate?#4
I am not the original author or owner. And i am only worried about the converted code.

posted date: 2009-04-08 01:58:00

Re: Does the GPL license contaminate?#5
Translation won(t remove copyright. Think about decompiling binary code of Windows to Pascal for example and then recompiling it. You think Microsoft wouldn(t come after you? :)I think the correct way is to either:Study the code and produce a technical specification of it. Then use this spec to rewrite the code. If you are paranoid, these tasks can be done by different people. (Companies have been known to do this)Or credit the original author and keep the license. (Your code is a derivative work)These suggestions may not be absolutely correct, but they are suggestions that don(t get you into trouble. Before considering anything controversial you should at least read:http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

posted date: 2009-04-08 01:59:00

Re: Does the GPL license contaminate?#6
IANAL, but if you are not the original author, then your PHP version will need to be GPL. To “modify” a work means to copy from or adapt all or part of the work in a fashion requiring copyright permission, other than the making of an exact copy. The resulting work is called a “modified version” of the earlier work or a work “based on” the earlier work.So porting a js library to php would count as a modification of the original, and then you are bound by the license to release the modified code under GPL.Copyright may be dumb and apply only to the text, but if you have loaded the original into your computer to view it, you(ve copied it (at least under UK law, copyright applies to digital copies). That act of copying was done under license and if you don(t keep within terms of the license you are already in breach of copyright, whether or not you make further derivative copies.

posted date: 2009-04-08 02:03:00

Re: Does the GPL license contaminate?#7
1800 INFORMATION, are you sure that GPL doesn't apply to the original copyright owner? I thought that once a work is released under GPL, there's no way out from it, but I may be mistaken. Can you point to some reference?

posted date: 2009-04-08 02:07:00

Re: Does the GPL license contaminate?#8
IANAL, but AFAIK in case of software, copyright is limited to automatic translation.

posted date: 2009-04-08 02:20:00

Re: Does the GPL license contaminate?#9
I'm waiting for you to try that with Windows. When Steve Ballmer "f*ing kills you", I'll say "I told you". :)

posted date: 2009-04-08 02:27:00

Re: Does the GPL license contaminate?#10
1. why should I? 2. why should US law apply to me?

posted date: 2009-04-08 02:39:00

Re: Does the GPL license contaminate?#11
Things are different in the east bloc of course. Have a nice day now. :)

posted date: 2009-04-08 02:43:00

Re: Does the GPL license contaminate?#12
You embed the GPL into an LGPL application or module, that is not just a wrapper++; This new module will be LGPL and you can cleanly use an LGPL module without spreading out. That(s what our License Lawyer told us.I trust my Lawyer, but that doesn(t mean you should blindly trust my Lawyer :)

posted date: 2009-04-08 03:03:00

select page: « 1 2...»
Copyright ©2008-2017 www.momige.com, all rights reserved.