A community in which webmasters can ask for help with topics such as PHP coding , MySQL , IT jobs, web design, IT security.
Current location:homephp forumphp talk in 2009 yearASP.Net MVC or Zend Framework. What is your opinion - page 1
User InfoPosts
ASP.Net MVC or Zend Framework. What is your opinion#1
I am looking to start a new project and I am trying to decide which framework to go with. I have been using ASP.Net for a while and enjoy it. My first introduction to web applications was with PHP and I still love it. The project should be a medium sized project maintained by 1 or 2 developers with a potential to grow. The only pros and cons are can think of are as follows:

ASP.Net MVC
Pros

Big community support and increasing
Seems to be fully featured

Cons

Getting a dedicated server will be expensive.
A licensed version of SQL Server will be expensive

Zend Framework Pros

Also a fairly large community
Free, using the typical LAMP setup

Cons

Not as mainstream
Might contain possible limitations

Lastly, I have enjoyed working with ASP.Net(s concept of Master pages. Does ASP.Net MVC still support this and does Zend Framework have something similar. I think that Zend offers something called templating and it looks close to Master pages.

What is your opinion?

posted date: 2009-04-09 02:54:00

Re: ASP.Net MVC or Zend Framework. What is your opinion#2
I had made out the solution of this problem. click to view my topic...

hope that hepls.

posted date: 2009-04-09 02:54:01

Re: ASP.Net MVC or Zend Framework. What is your opinion#3
At first, i recommend not to use PHP but a better language, Python for example. You code less, faster, more stable and with less maintenance issues. I(m currently using the Pylons-Framework and am very happy with it.Anyway, if you want to stay with PHP, it depends on how flexible you want to be, means, how much the framework shall do for you.Recently I ran into a bundle of problems using CodeIgniter, which is a fast and leightweight framework that does, ehm, not much for you but only the "frame". There is a fork named "Kohana" which is besser concerning the licensing, but poorly documented.Zend ist very powerful but complicated - what what is more an PHP- than a Zend-Problem though.Symfony is also powerful and complete. It(s totally derived from Ruby on Rails, and I never had a PHP-Project where i used all the Symfony-features. It has a really nice scaffolding.From all PHP-Frameworks i tried, I liked CakePHP most. It seems like a middle-way between complexity and an easy-to-use approach.All serious PHP-Frameworks support standard-applications like templating, modeling and caching.

posted date: 2009-04-09 03:05:00

Re: ASP.Net MVC or Zend Framework. What is your opinion#4
Yes you can have master pages for your views in ASP.NET MVC Framework as well, it works pretty much the same as in Webforms.

posted date: 2009-04-09 03:08:00

Re: ASP.Net MVC or Zend Framework. What is your opinion#5
If you are worried about the license costs, then perhaps you should use another database?PostgreSQL and mySQL is often sufficient.

posted date: 2009-04-09 03:18:00

Re: ASP.Net MVC or Zend Framework. What is your opinion#6
As a developer I think it is more abt asp.net and php. I know asp.net more than php, so I will suggest asp.net. Also you can(t have power of linq with php,which is a very big advantage.Zend has been here from some time, Asp.net MVC is still new. What I have seen is that alot developers are more comfortable with traditional methods than MVC.MS has open sourced MVC, so its community will grow for sure.

posted date: 2009-04-09 03:19:00

Re: ASP.Net MVC or Zend Framework. What is your opinion#7
I(ve tried both Zend Framework and ASP.NET MVC, and my impression is that ASP.NET MVC is the easiest to develop with. ZF takes a lot of time to learn and it also takes too much time (in my opinon) to set up. ZF also limits you in many cases, making you build large workarounds for things that ought to be implemented by default in the framework. Many of the libraries ZF offers are also made for very specific use cases, and are difficult to customize.With ASP you can have an application up and running in no time. Any changes you want to make to the default setup is richly documented. You also have the advantage of a (real( programming language like C#. The MVC pattern combined with a real programming language makes it easy to unit test, especially good if you(re into test driven developement. My pros list of ASP.NET MVC is:Easy localization and globalization with the .NET frameworkMaster Pages is much easier to use and more flexible than the layout model in ZFYou get all the good things from ASP.NET like SiteMap and the likeLinqMicrosoft Entity Framework / NHibernate / Spring.NETAbout the cost of the server and the SQLServer, many hosting companies provide dedicated servers at fairly decent prices.

posted date: 2009-04-09 03:21:00

Re: ASP.Net MVC or Zend Framework. What is your opinion#8
PHP is fast and stable, PHP isnt the problem its the developers that write crap code is the problem.

posted date: 2009-04-09 03:24:00

Re: ASP.Net MVC or Zend Framework. What is your opinion#9
That is true. I did mention that if I took the Zend Framework route I would use the LAMPP stack which includes MySql. I know that I can use MySql with ASP.Net in fact I already have. It was quite easy to do BUT I prefer to stick to a more standard (hopefully more support) stack.

posted date: 2009-04-09 03:26:00

Re: ASP.Net MVC or Zend Framework. What is your opinion#10
I have done both more traditional methods and MVC and I love the benefits that MVC gives me. Yes granted some more complexity but it is really worth it. I think that people that love good design and love to design might appreciate MVC more than people who just like to get things done. My opinion :)

posted date: 2009-04-09 03:28:00

Re: ASP.Net MVC or Zend Framework. What is your opinion#11
Brilliant Erik. Thank you. This is exactly the kind of response I was looking for. Hopefully there will be some Zend-Framework fanboy who will give me some nice counters. I like a balanced view. I appreciate your answer. (So far ASP.Net MVC seems to be winning. I am sure ScottGu will be happy)

posted date: 2009-04-09 03:30:00

Re: ASP.Net MVC or Zend Framework. What is your opinion#12
As is the problem with most of us ;)

posted date: 2009-04-09 03:37:00

select page: « 1 2...»
Copyright ©2008-2017 www.momige.com, all rights reserved.