A community in which webmasters can ask for help with topics such as PHP coding , MySQL , IT jobs, web design, IT security.
Current location:homephp forumphp talk in 2009 yearHow to insert dates selected from drop downs into mySQL table using php? - page 1
User InfoPosts
How to insert dates selected from drop downs into mySQL table using php?#1
When you have 5 dropdowns for date selection (Y, m,d, H,i) how do you insert the selected date and time into a single column of a mySQL table as a datetime using PHP5?

I know they need to be combined in a string such as:

$DateTime="$Year-$Month-$Day $Hour:$Minute:00";

and then maybe use strtotime:

$Date=date((Y-m-d H:i:s(, strtotime($DateTime)) ;

but where do I declare the variables and how do I build it into a query such as:

if ((isset($_POST["MM_insert"])) && ($_POST["MM_insert"] == "details")) {

$insertSQL = sprintf("INSERT INTO sessions (Location1, Location2, Date)
VALUES (%s, %s, $s)",

GetSQLValueString($_POST[(Location1(], "text"),
GetSQLValueString($_POST[(Location2(], "text"),
GetSQLValueString($_POST[( ???? (], "date"));

posted date: 2009-04-10 07:55:00

Re: How to insert dates selected from drop downs into mySQL table using php?#2
I had made out the solution of this problem. click to view my topic...

hope that hepls.

posted date: 2009-04-10 07:55:01

Re: How to insert dates selected from drop downs into mySQL table using php?#3
You might also look into the mktime() function: http://ca.php.net/mktimeYou would then just need to declare your date variable like:$date = mktime($_POST[(H(],$_POST[(i(],0,$_POST[(m(],$_POST[(d(],$_POST[(Y(]);$location1 = mysql_real_escape_string( $_POST[(Location1(];$location2 = mysql_real_escape_string( $_POST[(Location2(];$insertSQL = "INSERT INTO sessions (Location1, Location2, Date) VALUES (($location1(, ($location2(, $date)";mysql_query( $insertSQL );EDIT:Or, using the sprintf format you(re using:$date = mktime($_POST[(H(],$_POST[(i(],0,$_POST[(m(],$_POST[(d(],$_POST[(Y(]); $insertSQL = sprintf("INSERT INTO sessions (Location1, Location2, Date) VALUES (%s, %s, $s)", GetSQLValueString($_POST[(Location1(], "text"), GetSQLValueString($_POST[(Location2(], "text"), GetSQLValueString($date, "date"));I have never used the GetSQLValueString function before though, so I can only assume that(s the correct way to use it.

posted date: 2009-04-10 08:04:00

Re: How to insert dates selected from drop downs into mySQL table using php?#4
Create a utility function that converts between the (display mode( and MySQL mode, ti will come in handy in several other projects in the future.Date - Return a string, formatted according to the given format stringMkTime - Get a Unix timestamp for a dateStrtotime - Parse English textual datetime description into a Unix timestamp

posted date: 2009-04-10 13:27:00

Re: How to insert dates selected from drop downs into mySQL table using php?#5
MySQL provides a function to make this easy for you. http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/date-and-time-functions.html#function%5Ffrom-unixtime">FROM_UNIXTIME(). I would use mktime() to get your date to a timestamp, as it(s overhead is much less than strtodate, since you know the date-parts there is no need to parse it as a string.The following is the most straight-forward approach I can think of:$date = mktime($_POST[(H(], $_POST[(i(], 0, $_POST[(m(], $_POST[(d(], $_POST[(Y(]);$location1 = mysql_real_escape_string( $_POST[(Location1(];$location2 = mysql_real_escape_string( $_POST[(Location2(];$insertSQL = "INSERT INTO sessions (Location1, Location2, Date) VALUES (($location1(, ($location2(, FROM_UNIXTIME($date))";I(m assuming that GetSQLValueString is the Dreamweaver custom function (I(ve only heard of it). I(m sure you can adopt this into your implementation, though.

posted date: 2009-04-11 03:01:00

Re: How to insert dates selected from drop downs into mySQL table using php?#6
If MySQL, dates and time always follow the same order - largest unit first, followed by the next largest, down to the smallest.( ie: year, month, date, hour, minutes, seconds) why use mktime which would give me an incorrect format ie(s, i, H, m, d, Y)??? confused

posted date: 2009-04-11 05:19:00

Re: How to insert dates selected from drop downs into mySQL table using php?#7
Basically, the datetime field is like how you describe, however, the mktime function returns a UNIX timestamp and is therefore more portable. The FROM_UNIXTIME function take a timestamp argument and converts it to datetime format, so you don't have to.

posted date: 2009-04-11 12:41:00

Re: How to insert dates selected from drop downs into mySQL table using php?#8
Thanks to all who tried to help - the answer was a lot less complicated (blonde moment I guess! lol)Just needed to declare the post variables as: $_POST[(startDate(] ="$Year-$Month-$Day $Hour:$Minute:00";No need for time conversions as it(s already in Mysql format (YEY!)

posted date: 2009-04-15 09:12:00

select page: « 1 »
Copyright ©2008-2017 www.momige.com, all rights reserved.