A community in which webmasters can ask for help with topics such as PHP coding , MySQL , IT jobs, web design, IT security.
Current location:homephp forumphp talk in 2009 yearPHP: “Global” Include - page 1
User InfoPosts
PHP: “Global” Include#1
Current situation:

I have the current version of my MVC Framework which uses classes as controllers.
I have some "vintage" modules from my old MVC Framework which uses simple, flat includes as controllers.

Much simplified that means:

New Version:

<?PHP
class blaController extends baseController {
private $intVar;

function dosomethingFunction() {
$this->intVar = 123;
$this->view((myView();
}
}
?>

Old Version:

<?PHP
$globalVar = 123;
// view "controllername" is automatically shown
?>

I(m now trying to write a wrapper to be able to use my old controllers in my new MVC without having to rewrite everything. To do so, I have a "wrapper" controller:

class wrapController extends baseController {
function dosomethingFunction() {
require (old_dosomething.function.php(;
$this->view((old_dosomething_view();
}
}

(Once again: This is VERY, VERY simplified - just to get the idea over. Not actual code.)

The problem with that approach is, that the previously global variable $globalVar now only exists inside of the method "dosomethingFunction" and cannot be accessed by the view.

This wouldn(t be the case if I could force the require to behave as "in global scope" so that $globalVar would once again be available in global scope.

So: Is there some way to achieve "require_global" or something similar?

(One solution for my problem would be to modify my old controllers to start with a bunch of "global" commands, but I(d prefer a solution where I don(t have to change so much of that old code.)

(Note: Please don(t tell me that GLOBALS are bad. It totally misses the point of this question. Just accept that it is a requirement to keep some old code working in a newer, cleaner environment.)

posted date: 2009-04-15 06:30:00

Re: PHP: “Global” Include#2
I had made out the solution of this problem. click to view my topic...

hope that hepls.

posted date: 2009-04-15 06:30:01

Re: PHP: “Global” Include#3
Hmmm, this is an issue I(ve never before seen. I suppose you could do thisclass wrapController extends baseController { function dosomethingFunction() { require (old_dosomething.function.php(; // Force "old" globals into global scope $GLOBALS[(globalVar(] = $globalVar; $this->view((old_dosomething_view(); }}But that(s a pretty tedious, manual process as well, depending on how many globals we(re talking about. I(ll think about this, but I don(t know of any "auto-magic" solution off the top of my head.

posted date: 2009-04-15 06:39:00

Re: PHP: “Global” Include#4
"$GLOBALS['globalVar'] = $globalVar;" would be an option if I could iterate through all local variables, but is there an "automated" way to find all of those?

posted date: 2009-04-15 06:42:00

Re: PHP: “Global” Include#5
You can add local variables defined within dosomethingFunction() to global scope:class wrapController extends baseController { function dosomethingFunction() { require (old_dosomething.function.php(; //begin added code $vararr = get_defined_vars(); foreach($vararr as $varName => $varValue) $GLOBALS[$varName] = $varValue; //end added code $this->view((old_dosomething_view(); }}Note, that for this to work as expected, you should call require before using any other thing in the function. get_defined_vars() returns only variables from the current scope, so no array_diff hacks are needed.

posted date: 2009-04-15 06:44:00

Re: PHP: “Global” Include#6
This is the easiest solution I can think of.Use the get_defined_vars() function twice and get a diff of each call to determine what variables were introduced by the required file.Example:$__defined_vars = get_defined_vars();require((old_dosomething.function.php();$__newly_defined_vars = array_diff_assoc($__defined_vars, get_defined_vars());$GLOBALS = array_merge($GLOBALS, $__newly_defined_vars);$this->view((old_dosomething_view();

posted date: 2009-04-15 06:52:00

Re: PHP: “Global” Include#7
no need to do array_diff if you're calling that from within a function. get_defined_vars() only returns variables within the current scope.

posted date: 2009-04-15 06:59:00

Re: PHP: “Global” Include#8
Good point. Though it's certainly possible that someone later adds variables to that function.

posted date: 2009-04-15 07:05:00

Re: PHP: “Global” Include#9
array_diff_assoc fails if one of the variables is an object that cannot be converted to string.

posted date: 2009-04-15 07:06:00

Re: PHP: “Global” Include#10
@mcreenan: but if you call get_defined_vars() before more variables are added, they you'll get only the ones from included file.

posted date: 2009-04-15 07:12:00

Re: PHP: “Global” Include#11
I'm not yet sure why, but somehow array_merge doesn't work in my scenario while merging the array "manually" with foreach works.

posted date: 2009-04-15 07:15:00

Re: PHP: “Global” Include#12
well, $GLOBAL is not really "normal" array. Rolled back to foreach version.

posted date: 2009-04-15 07:22:00

select page: « 1 2 »
Copyright ©2008-2017 www.momige.com, all rights reserved.