A community in which webmasters can ask for help with topics such as PHP coding , MySQL , IT jobs, web design, IT security.
Current location:homephp forumphp talk in 2009 yearPHP function that creates a nested ul li? - page 1
User InfoPosts
PHP function that creates a nested ul li?#1
I am attemptting to attach a small CMS to a website I am creating. However I have come across a small problem. The CMS uses PHP functions for inserting menus, these PHP functions create the HTML. The particular function I wish to use (treemenu) creates a nested ul li that can then be used for a drop down menu. However the nested ul li is structured like so:

<li>Projects (Menu Level 1)</li>
<ul>
<li>Project 1 (Menu Level 2)</li>
<li>Project 2 (Menu Level 2)</li>
<li>Project 3 (Menu Level 2)</li>
</ul>
<li>News (Menu Level 1)</li>
<li>Contact (Menu Level 1)</li>

When creating a drop down menu in CSS I believe the Menu Level 1 li should wrap its children like so:

<li>Projects (Menu Level 1)
<ul>
<li>Project 1 (Menu Level 2)</li>
<li>Project 2 (Menu Level 2)</li>
<li>Project 3 (Menu Level 2)</li>
</ul>
</li>
<li>News (Menu Level 1)</li>
<li>Contact (Menu Level 1)</li>

I have never before worked with PHP and therefore would not know how to alter the function in order to accomplish the above. I would hope it would be a simple change. Below is the PHP function that outputs the first example structure:

function treemenu($generat=0) {
global $pagenum, $menu, $selected, $extension, $set;
$count=0;
$out="\n";
$intend=0;
while($menu[$count][0] != "") {
if(strpos($menu[$count][3],"#") === false) {
if($menu[$count][2]=="0" && $intend==2) {
$intend--;
$out.="</ul>\n";
}
if($menu[$count][1]=="0" && $intend==1) {
$intend--;
$out.="</ul>\n";
}
if($menu[$count][1]!="0" && $intend<1) {
$intend=1;
$out.="<ul>\n";
}
if($menu[$count][2]!="0" && $intend<2) {
$intend=2;
$out.="<ul>\n";
}
$out.="<li class=\"LNE_menu\"><a ";
if($menu[$count][4]==$selected[(name(])
$out.= (class="selected" (;
if(strpos($menu[$count][3],"*"))
$out.=(href="(.str_replace("*", "",$menu[$count][3]).(">(;
elseif($generat)
$out.=(href="(.$menu[$count][3].".".$set[(extension(].(">(;
else
$out.=(href="(.$set[(indexfile(].(?page=(.$menu[$count][3].(">(;
$out.=$menu[$count][4]."</a></li>\n";
}
$count++;
}
return $out;
}

Could anyone possibly point me in the right direction as to how to make the closing li tag of a level 1 menu item wrap the ul immediately after, as in the second example?

posted date: 2009-04-15 13:42:00

Re: PHP function that creates a nested ul li?#2
I had made out the solution of this problem. click to view my topic...

hope that hepls.

posted date: 2009-04-15 13:42:01

Re: PHP function that creates a nested ul li?#3
Bejesuz that's ugly! Whomever wrote that should be flogged.

posted date: 2009-04-15 13:51:00

Re: PHP function that creates a nested ul li?#4
This would be a excellent example of the use of recursion. An array (with sub-arrays within it) defines each level, and a function loops, calling itself whenever it finds a new array to process. As long as the function cleans up appropriately (closing the </li> & </ol>), it(s largely automatic.<?php// I know which function I(d rather write....$tree = array((Projects (Menu Level 1)(, array((Project 1 (Menu Level 2)(, (Project 2 (Menu Level 2)(, (Project 3 (Menu Level 2)(), (News (Menu Level 1)(, (Contact (Menu Level 1)();// now quake beneath the power of this fully operational recursive function!function olLiTree($tree){ echo (<ul>(; foreach($tree as $item) { if (is_array($item)) { olLiTree($item); } else { echo (<li>(, $item, (</li>(; } } echo (</ul>(;}olLiTree($tree); // kick off from the top level

posted date: 2009-04-15 13:52:00

Re: PHP function that creates a nested ul li?#5
A good example of bad PHP, perhaps someone can help redeem this by proividing some good PHP.

posted date: 2009-04-15 13:53:00

Re: PHP function that creates a nested ul li?#6
Haha! Do you think that what I am after is a small change to that code?

posted date: 2009-04-15 13:55:00

Re: PHP function that creates a nested ul li?#7
not a small change - just a small, recursive function.

posted date: 2009-04-15 13:56:00

Re: PHP function that creates a nested ul li?#8
that looks like a project for ... captain recursion! i'd help you (writing a function that does what you want is easy), but it would be better if i knew more about the data structure you're using.

posted date: 2009-04-15 14:00:00

Re: PHP function that creates a nested ul li?#9
It appears Topbit already beat me to this, but mine is slightly differs in that it doesn(t echo the value straight to the output stream, but saves it in a variable that you may echo at your convenience:<?phpfunction GenerateMenu($arr){ $output = "<ul>\n"; foreach($arr as $val) { if (is_array($val)) { $output .= "<li>\n" . GenerateMenu($val, $output) . "</li>\n"; } else { $output .= "<li>" . $val . "</li>\n"; } } $output .= "</ul>\n"; return $output;}$html = GenerateMenu($menu);?>Edit:Thanks Gumbo and Topbit, now that I(m on my machine with PHP installed, I have tested it and it works fine.

posted date: 2009-04-15 14:11:00

Re: PHP function that creates a nested ul li?#10

posted date: 2009-04-15 14:15:00

Re: PHP function that creates a nested ul li?#11
PHP string concatenation is . not +. And yes, a function should imo generally not output any data directly.

posted date: 2009-04-15 14:17:00

Re: PHP function that creates a nested ul li?#12
A simple function is all you need.function unorderedList($val){ if (is_array($val)) { return (<ul><li>( . implode((</li><li>(, array_map((unorderedList(, $val)) . (</li></ul>(; } else { return $val; }}Test code:$menu = array((Projects (Menu Level 1)(, array((Project 1 (Menu Level 2)(, (Project 2 (Menu Level 2)(, (Project 3 (Menu Level 2)(), (News (Menu Level 1)(, (Contact (Menu Level 1)();echo unorderedList($menu);

posted date: 2009-04-15 14:25:00

select page: « 1 2 »
Copyright ©2008-2017 www.momige.com, all rights reserved.